Sunday, March 29, 2020

I Love You, Auntie LaVerne

Today it was cloudy all day and rained on and off most of the day. At times there was a mix of snow, which is not uncommon March weather in Western Wisconsin. Shortly after my family finished dinner and all sat together in the living room to watch TV, the sun poked out from behind the clouds. And as the sun dipped down, the clouds gave way to a fantastic purple and pink sky. My husband and son even got up, went to the kitchen window, and admired the beauty together. I wish I would've taken a picture of what was out my window. Because it was the last day my great aunt, LaVerne, was on Earth and the beautiful sunset was a wonderful representation of how she was as a person - vivid, bright, and pretty.

Tuesday night my great aunt had a massive stroke. When my mom told me the next day, I, of course, thought of my grandma right away. You see, Auntie LaVerne isn't just my grandma's sister, she's my grandma's fraternal twin sister. And even more than that, they aren't just twin sisters. My grandma married my grandpa, and LaVerne married my grandpa's brother, Ed. The two couples had a double wedding in 1950 when the girls were just 18-years-old. This July would've been Ed and LaVerne's 70th (!) wedding anniversary.

My great-grandparents and their 8 children. My grandma is on the far left, in the back row.
Auntie LaVerne is second from the right, in the back row.

I would guess that most people would say that they don't know their great aunts and uncles very well. But I have spent a lot of time with my mom's extended family and I probably know most of my mom's cousins better than some people know their own first cousins. My entire life there have been family picnics, birthday parties, family reunions, and lots of time together. I remember as a little girl going to Auntie LaVerne's house for big family gatherings. They lived in a northern suburb of the Twin Cities. There was always lots of laughter, lots of food, and lots of people. Once when we were there, a hot air balloon landed in a field right behind their house and we all went running out to watch it land. 

Auntie LaVerne had a piano in her house and she loved to play. Many times she would play and the singing would start. 

Every single time I saw Auntie LaVerne she always, always, always, had a smile on her face. To be with her family made her so happy. She was such a joyful woman. And every time I saw her, her arms would open wide and she would envelop me in a big hug. She just radiated happiness and that is what I will remember most about her. I think it was due to her joy for Jesus. She was a woman who chased after God and her faith was not only important to her but evident to those around her. 

When I was a little girl, the whole extended family...my mom's aunts, uncles, and cousins on her dad's side...would get together for a birthday party for me and my second cousin, Greta. We are just a few days apart in age. Auntie LaVerne was always there. And if you're thinking, "Wait a minute. I thought it was her grandma's twin sister," remember, Auntie LaVerne married my grandpa's brother. So no matter if we were at a family event for my mom's dad's side or my mom's mom's side, Auntie LaVerne and Uncle Ed were ALWAYS there. 

Two brothers married twin sisters. This photo was taken at my sister's wedding in 2013.

She was there for every major event of my life. My high school graduation celebration, my college graduation celebration, my family wedding shower, my wedding, and my family baby shower for my first child. She was so much more than just a great-aunt who I kinda sorta knew a little bit. When you spend that much time together, you bond. You have good conversations. You laugh together. Oh boy, did we laugh together.

Auntie LaVerne and Uncle Ed at our wedding in 2011.

I will miss her so much. And my heart is so sad for Uncle Ed, their kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids. And my heart hurts for Grandma. Her precious twin sister is gone. Part of her identity. Part of a strong bond. Part of her heart. And she couldn't see her one last time because of the Covid-19 "shelter in place" order. That makes me sad too. I know if she could have, Grandma would have been at that hospital, by her twin's side. The sisters spoke on the phone 11 days ago...on their 88th birthday.

My grandma (left) and Auntie LaVerne (right) at their 80th birthday party in 2012. We had many family birthday parties over the years for these two sisters.

Auntie LaVerne had her stroke Tuesday night. She hung on for several days, in and out of consciousness. We were all just waiting for her to slip away to Jesus. Tonight, at around 7pm, five days after her stroke, one of her daughters at the hospital called Grandma and had her talk to her dying sister. As though she was waiting to hear her twin's voice one last time in 88 years, Auntie LaVerne finally let go and died an hour later. 

I imagine her now in heaven, with a bigger smile than I ever saw (if that's possible) and giving hugs to so many loved ones who were there waiting for her. Her parents, several siblings, two sons, two great-grandsons, and more souls who were blessed enough to be a part of Auntie LaVerne's life. She sure made her one life counted. She loved big. She loved her Savior. She loved her husband, Ed. She loved her family and so many friends. 

My grandma and Auntie LaVerne, cozy in an over-sized chair at a baby shower for my first child.

Two different times this week, as I mourned the fact that we were losing Auntie LaVerne, God reminded me of his faithfulness. The first time was on Friday morning when I was reading my Bible and devotional. I read a quick devotional from Our Daily Bread most mornings. Friday morning the title was "Precious Departure" and it said this: "The idea that death is precious might seem counterintuitive; however, the psalmist declares, 'Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful servants' (Psalm 116:15). God treasures the death of His people, for in their passing He welcomes them home." How wonderful that Auntie LaVerne was not only treasured here in our world by so many who loved her, but also by her Savior.

The second time God used His Word to remind me of his goodness and faithfulness, even in death, was the family devotion we read just two days ago. Each day we try to carve out time to read "The One Year Devotions for Preschoolers" with our two kids. Yesterday the title was "Life Goes On" and it was just a few short sentences about we are sad when people die because we can't see them anymore. But Jesus tells people to believe in Him and then they will live forever with Him in heaven.

I will miss you, Auntie. I look forward to seeing you again someday. I'm looking forward to that next hug from you. Thank you for your testimony of being a woman of God. Thank you for all you meant to me. I love you, Auntie LaVerne.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to Auntie LaVerne, Melis! Thank you for sharing your heart. We will miss her!😪💔❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute Melissa, sorry for your loss, but she is rejoicing in Heaven .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so touching, Melissa. You expressed many of my thoughts,in a really wonderful way! Auntie LaVerne was so special to me for many reasons!And after all,I am named after her,Kathryn LaVerne!Thanks for writing this special tribute to a really special lady.

    ReplyDelete